Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Delayed Ramblings (not my best)

So I was planning on writing a few days ago when I found out that Sarah Palin was announced as John McCain's running mate, but things have just been so hectic lately that I just got some time to write something. I have to admit, when I first heard the news that McCain had picked some woman- I didn't know her name at the time because my mom was too stunned from my sister telling us over the phone- I burst out laughing. It figured that McCain would try to steal the spotlight the day after Obama gave his exhilarating speech that called for Democrats across the country to unite together and stand up for change in this nation. By announcing that he had chosen Palin as his choice for VP, he completely took the nation by surprise, and everyone ceased talking about Obama's speech for five minutes, and focused on this unknown woman. I have to admit, I was slightly impressed, and I noted that he decided to attack strategically instead of politically.

At first, I truly thought Palin was going to be a major threat to Obama and Biden. It seemed that her being married to a fisherman who was in a union, having five kids with one volunteering to serve in the army because of 9/11, and having teachers for parents made her very strong because it made her seem like the average soccer, or in her case hockey mom, who was able to balance having a family and having a successful career. She would make sure to fight for those in unions because of her husband's position, and she would also fight for teachers because of her parents. These were the type of values that the Republican party needed their VP to have in order to rival Obama's views on family. Also, I thought that this was the perfect way for the Republican Party to garner the favor of the Independents. Yet, once I started finding out more and more about Palin, I decided that she wasn't a threat to Obama and Biden, but a threat to the entire country if she and McCain were to win.

I have not done enough research to truly critique Palin yet, but from what I do know, she seems to be highly inexperienced and under-qualified. Yes, one of the main arguments against Obama is that he is inexperienced, but I disagree with that theory completely. Palin has only been governor for about two years, and from what I understand is under investigation for firing someone illegitimately, though this has yet to be proven. Yet, scandals and investigations have never really hurt people in Washington, and it seems that as more days pass on by, more scandal revolving around this woman are found. In the case of her daughter I won't comment on her specifically because I feel that smearing her name is resorting to dirty politics and we should keep any candidates' children out of the race. The only thing I wonder is why she is not pro sex education in our school systems? Other issues I have with Palin include the fact that she is pro- offshore drilling. Living in New Jersey, I am extremely against this because offshore drilling could occur off our coast too, and though some people I know don't appreciate the Jersey Shore like I do, I think all would agree that it would be a major shame if something went wrong and our beaches were destroyed My last complaint (for now since I have so many others but this post is becoming a bit outdated already) I don't appreciate our VP being a member of the NRA. We already saw what one VP can do with a gun- I don't wanna imagine what else could happen. There are so many other things I could write, but my guess is that Runie has something she would like to say about Palin's speech.



Yet, I feel that I need to explain why I truly resent McCain picking Palin for VP. As Runie previously stated, the fact McCain assumes that women will vote for her because they want to see a woman VP is utterly ridiculous. This truly infuriates me to no end. Not only does McCain assume this, but other Republicans seem to thrive on this as well. At a party I went to on Saturday, I was asked by a friend of the family whether or not I supported women's rights. I answered of course I do. He then told me that I should support Palin because it was about time we had a woman as president. I promptly replied that I agreed but sadly Hillary had not gotten the nomination, so I supported Obama instead. He then said that I should really support Palin instead because then I would be supporting women. I really just don't understand this logic. I vote for my candidates based on competency and their views on many different issues, not because of their race, sex, or political party. Personally, as I have stated, I feel that Palin is unfit for the job. Perhaps she would make a decent VP, but frankly she would be an incompetent president.

In response to the Republicans calling the Democrats unpatriotic, I once again laugh. It seems that the Republicans have resorted to using name calling as one of their primary tactics . Karl Rove stating that Biden is a "big blowhard doofus" is a prime example of this. When they actually decide to say anything that is worthwhile and a little less third grader-ish, then maybe I will get more passionate. Right now, the only response I have is that I know I will be fulfilling my patriotic duty as a citizen this election day by voting for Obama and Biden.

~Lindsey =)

No comments: